Sunday, January 22, 2012

'Arise Girl' begins...


  Hello! My name is Sylvia Dana. Welcome to my very first blog post on Arise Girl.
  I'm a former journalist and journalism teacher...and I need to write. It's good for my soul.  And, I have a few things to say, to share, to do.
  I'm a Gen-X Christian, 40-year-old single mom of a teenage boy. I'm a woman of action. I like get stuff done, to make things happen. I'm into social justice, personal development, spiritual growth and community building. In my world, there's no such thing as "wait and see what happens." I do more than I dream.
  My first thought for a blog title was "Action Girl," but that blogspot address was taken by someone who hasn't posted since 2007. Don't you hate that? But...as I started playing with other title options, I came up with the word arise.
  That word -- arise -- resonates with me. It makes me think of the Bible scripture "O, sleeper, arise, and shine." I haven't really been sleeping, but laying low. Now, six months after a divorce and a big move, my precious 17-year-old son and I are established in a residence and a routine. I'm in a place in my life when I'm ready to move forward and get on with it. And that's what I'm doing! I'm starting to take on more responsibility at work, get involved with my church, show up for service in my community, make friends and even date... a little! So, that's why I need to start blogging. Writing keeps me clear and focused.
  I'm going to blog about everything related to me...and you...arising. Arise like a butterfly from its cocoon, like a plant coming out of the ground, like the sun from the horizon. You get my point. In order to do more, we need to believe in our abilities. We need to see ourselves as capable of flying higher to achieve our goals and rising above our circumstances.
  My blog is about encouraging myself to "arise, girl." But I'm also going to emphasize the hero in all of us...the It Chic, the Wonder Woman, the Arise Girl. I will challenge myself and you to get out there and do something -- something for yourself, for your family, for your community and for the world. I'm going to highlight those Arise Girls already in action. I will hopefully inspire you to arise, girl. So, come with me my darling, my beautiful one. Drink the Kool-aid and buy the T-shirt!
  If you join me and declare yourself one of us -- an Arise Girl -- I hope you comment on posts, share posts and submit posts! Please keep your comments and posts PCP: Positive, constructive and productive. And feel free to contact me anytime.
   And for a teaser, my next and second post -- that's actually about something -- is coming quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment