Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pregnacy Care Center Does What It Says

I met with Rhonda Watson, executive director of the Pregnancy Care Center of Traverse Bay Area today about doing some volunteering. 
Rhonda and myself on Feb. 14, 2012.

I'll write about the new logo debut for the organization -- formerly known as the Pregnancy Resource Center --  in an upcoming appeal letter and newsletter. 

I first met Rhonda as a client in 1993, when I was referred by a nurse I met with monthly for check up appointments when I was pregnant. The nurse saw that I was in a crisis situation -- 22, unmarried, in college and stuck in a hellish relationship and lacking a support system.


Rhonda helped me first by assessing how I felt about my pregnancy and helping me find whatever resources I needed to meet my goals. The Pregnancy Care Center also provided informational meetings regarding legal advice, parenting and the like.

My son Zeke, 5, and myself visiting the Miller family, 1999.
For me, the most important help I received from the center came in the form of a temporary family. I had been living in a women's shelter for a month, until Rhonda matched me with 'shepherding home' -- a family who took me in to live with them for six months as I worked to get my ducks in a row, finish my associate's degree and prepare to be a mother. The Millers consisted of a married couple in their early 30s who had been high school sweet hearts and their two sons, ages 6 and 8.  I lived at the Millers' from the time I was 8 months pregnant to when Zeke was about 3 months old.

The Millers treated me with respect and included me in their daily routine -- eating meals together, watching TV and going to church. I had my own room and bathroom and was asked to abide by a curfew and weekly chores, just like any member of the family. It was a good experience for me and I treasure the foundation I was able to build practically & spiritually while I lived with the Millers. Rhonda says the Pregnancy Care Center no longer matches girls with families, because needs for housing have changed and many girls don't embrace the idea of settling in with a support system of this kind. 

Rhonda holds my son Zeke, 3, in 1997.
As the Pregnancy Care Center has evolved over the years, it's become more of a medical clinic, than a social service agency. In fact, it's a certified ultrasound clinic, providing free ultrasounds to anyone who think they might be pregnant. There is also a nurse manager on staff.


Other services the center provides includes, pre and post abortion counseling, adoption counseling, STD referrals and testing, emergency diapers and formula and new baby clothing.

What I love about the philosophy of Pregnancy Care Center is that is neither "pro-life" or "pro-choice" or anti anything. It isn't a political organization; it's a people organization -- focusing on an individual woman, her personal circumstance, her personal information and her personal choice. There is no judgement or pressure by the staff and volunteers of the Pregnancy Care Center. They meet you where you are. I'm so pleased to be back on board.



No comments:

Post a Comment